Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Time Away From Home

It’s day one of the Farm Progress Show, and one thing is for certain…I miss my kids.

I talked to my four year-old daughter Charlotte tonight, on the phone, to sort of put her to bed long distance, and she asked me what I was doing at grandma and grandpa’s house all week. I told her I was working at a big farm show where grandma and grandpa live.


As I look back on the day, I heard a lot about 9 billion people populating the earth in the year 2050. This made me do a quick mental calculation of how old my kids would be at that time. Would they have enough to eat?

Charlotte, my oldest would be 46, and Chloe, my one-year old would be 42. I’m not saying how old I would be.

It’s hard to think of my children being that age. But as I listened to Dr. Robb Fraley’s presentation on Monsanto’s technology pipeline, I felt compelled to think of just that. Can we double yields by 2030? Can we feed an exploding population in the year 2050?


Following Fraley’s presentation, I took my first “Yields of Tomorrow” plot tour, and I got my answers.

It’s one thing to hear a presentation on Monsanto’s commitment to sustainable agriculture, but as they say…seeing is believing. What I saw on Monsanto’s “Yields of Tomorrow” plot tour made me a believer. The crops they promised to deliver on have been delivered on. And if this is any indication of Monsanto’s commitment, I don’t need to worry about my kids going hungry.

As I was finishing up my goodnight call with Charlotte, which included a very detailed description of the latest fairy princess princess puzzle she was working on, and what she had done in school that day, I once again found it hard to think of my little girls in the year 2050. Thank goodness Monsanto is.

No comments:

Post a Comment